Atom Agency av Olivier Schwartz och Yann

Diskussioner om främst de fransk-belgiska albumserierna men även andra serier som härstammar från Europas serie-Mecka.
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

Atom Agency av Olivier Schwartz och Yann

Inlägg av Jerry Tumbler »

Bild
Introduction (part 1):
The artist Olivier Schwartz (Spirou, etc.) and the scenarist Yann (known from Angel Wings, Bear's Tooth (Dent d'ours), etc.) intended to continue Gil Jourdan, but the heirs of Maurice Tillieux didn't alllow this. So they recently startet their own private-detective series: "Atom Agency", with the young Armenian detective Atom Vercorian from Paris, his temperamental fiancé Mimi and their friend, the former wrestler Jojo La Toupie. The stories are in the 40s (just after WW-II) and 50s. The drawing-style of Schwartz is close to Maurice Tillieux, and this new series has indeed a "Gil Jourdan - feel". But considering this as plagiarism goes too far. (Perhaps closer: Atom Vercorian a clone from Gil Jourdan.)

The main characters: Atom Vercorian, Mimi and Jojo La Toupie:

Bild

Atom Agency, Paris, France:

Bild

Atom Agency del 1 (released on 19 October 2018) is well received. This story had a pre-publication in the Spirou magazine too.
Preview pages from Atom Agency del 1: Publisher Dupuis, Brussels

Bild
Atom Agency del 1, Spirou del 4192 (för publicering)

Schwartz, Yann and Publisher Dupuis want to continue Atom Agency. So far Atom Agency has been released in in France, The Netherlands and Belgium. Meanwhile Atom Agency del 1 has 2 special editions.

Scenarist Yann interviewed by the French Television about his new grahic novel series Atom Agency (...and del 1 "The jewelry of Begum"):

Bild
(unthinkable in Sweden I fear…)

Atom Vercorian and his fiancé Mimi:

Bild
© Olivier Schwartz, 2017

End of part 1.
Glöm BUCK DANNY, vi har henne nu: ANGEL WINGS. [8D]
Användarvisningsbild
Wakuran
Admin

Re: Atom Agency av Olivier Schwartz och Yann

Inlägg av Wakuran »

Hmm, despite that monochrome image, it seems the English title "Atom Agency" will be used both natively and internationally.

I guess that the character's name Atom Vercorian also is a thinly veiled reference to the "Atomic Style" used in the artwork of Yves Chaland and his peers…

(Looks pretty good, otherwise, although my impression of Yann's writing is that his scripts tend to be rather messy and jumbled…)
I hate pop. And skiffle. I tell ya, this is going to be the best jazz decade ever.
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

Yes, I also think that "Atom Agency" will be used both natively and internationally. Allthough, on the 3rd image in my post we read the expected native "Agence Atom". The business-card of Atom is also with the English title: image 1 and the latest: image 2 (with improved logo).
In the upcoming stories, Atom could be active outside France too and/or the publisher and creative team intent to release this new series outside France. Angel Wings, another series by Yann, has an international title, even the majority of the album titles. And Angel Wings is released in many countries, even in Japan and China. Nowadays, with an aging graphic novel market, one has to cross the border to be profitable. Especially with a new series. The promotion campain is huge: 3 special editions, media and pre-publication of drawings by the artist (like Romain Hugault), etc.

I do have mixed feelings about the scenarios from Yannick Le Pennetier, aka Yann (64). In my opinion he is writing at the same time for too many series *) and his scenarios often lack depth: at least their quality varies, fluctuates. Unpredictable in a negative sense. He likes peculiarities, underexposed (historical) events (sometimes rewriting them), in which he seeks out the boundaries. And his stories are often stretched from a oneshot or dyptich to a trilogy.
Often the quality of the artist has to compensate the shortcomings in his scenarios.
Nevertheless, my graphic novel collection contains more and more albums with scenarios by Yann I have noticed. I also want to give him a chance with "Atom Agency". At least I like the drawings and setting.

*) Thorgal (main series), Thorgal-The Young Years (spin-off), Sauvage, Double-7, Spirou, Angel Wings, Buck Danny Classic, Atom Agency, XIII-Mystery.
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

Introduction, part 2: some impressions from Atom Agency:
Bild
The pennyless young private-detective Atom Vercorian and his stubborn fiancé Mimi. By-the-way, Atom is a cousin of Charles Aznavour...

Atom Vercorian in action scenes: BildBild
Jojo la Toupie in action scene: Bild
Mimi in acton scenes:BildBildBild

Great dialogue: Bild

Del 1: "The jewelry of Begum":
Bild

Atom Agency del 1: special, limited edition (black & white): YouTube
Ditto:
Bild
Notice "black/white" on a French album. (And "detective" in French is "polar".)

The 2nd special, limited edition:
Bild

On the left: police-officer and Atom's father Tigran Vercorian (no member of the Atom Agency):
Bild

Mimi:
Bild
Paris, France:
Bild

A review in French language.
Användarvisningsbild
BoJustBo

Inlägg av BoJustBo »

Olivier schwartz does it again, great artist.
Mina serier
Mer skimrande än guld viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10853
De skrev fred med vårt blod viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10624
In I Dimman viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10725
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

BoJustBo skrev:Olivier schwartz does it again, great artist.
I agree. But somestimes... I dislike the design of his drawing below: too many text in one image for the man on the left:

Bild
(He has a strange mouth also. And it looks like the lady on the right is running in stead of walking. And why even more cookies... there are already a lot of cookies on the desk. In short, "Murphy's Law".) But I like the vintage fly-catcher at the blower/fan.

The opposite: this image design is OK though:

Bild

edit
Atom Agency del 1 in German language: Carlsen Verlag
Användarvisningsbild
Wakuran
Admin

Inlägg av Wakuran »

Jerry Tumbler skrev:
BoJustBo skrev:Olivier schwartz does it again, great artist.
I agree. But somestimes... I dislike the design of his drawing below: too many text in one image for the man on the left:

Maybe all the text could be due to Yann's misjudged attempt of trying to add local and contemporary flair by peppering the dialogue with slang and expressions from the place and time. My French isn't great, but when I've tried to read Yann in French, the dialogue could often come across a bit strained, I felt… (Maybe a native, or a better, French speaker would appreciate the attempts more, though…)
I hate pop. And skiffle. I tell ya, this is going to be the best jazz decade ever.
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

I agree. But Schwartz could have given his drawing less text-balloons by adding a second drawing with only the garage owner saying the additional text, for instance like this way :

Bild
By splitting the drawing no 3 chained text balloons, and no 4th text balloon at the bottom. The image now looks clearer.
Still a compromise though: prefer 1 text balloon per person.
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

Scenario ATOM AGENCY del 1 "The jewelry of the Begum" (brief):
"Atom Vercorian, a young private eye and dedicated detective, decides to stand in for his father, the police chief Tigran Vercorian, leading the
investigation into the disappearance of Begum Aga Khan's jewelry. In August 1949, the wealthiest couple in the world were the victims of a robbery as speedy as it was spectacular, the value of the stolen goods amounting to over 200 million francs."

This true story inspired artist Hergé to coin the famous exclamation by his Tintin character, Bianca Castafiore: "Heavens! My Jewels!"
Between vintage elegance and graphic modernism, this wonderfully retro self-contained adventure story toys with the genre's codes and flirts with the classics.

Other albums by the creative team Schwartz & Yann:

- GRINGOS LOCOS (a one-shot, 56 pages):

Bild

Scenario (brief): The franco-belgian artists Joseph Gillain (aka Jijé), Franquin and Morris drive through the United States and Mexico in an old Ford Hudson in the hope of being hired by Disney."

Few authors would dare to imagine such a venture. And yet Schwartz and Yann did it: they tell us this absolutely authentic story with humor in this album which is historic in more ways than one.

- These 2 Spirou one-shots (numerous artists and scenarists made Spirou one-shots):

Bild
Användarvisningsbild
BoJustBo

Inlägg av BoJustBo »

3 spirou albums actually. And they're available in swedish too for once.
Bild
Mina serier
Mer skimrande än guld viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10853
De skrev fred med vårt blod viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10624
In I Dimman viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10725
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

:arrow: Interesting interview with artist Olivier Schwartz regarding the differences and similarities between Atom Agency and Gil Jourdan: in French.
With info about Atom Agency del 2 also.

Bild :arrow: Atom Vercorian

************************************************************************************************

2 other Spirou one-shots by Schwartz & Yann:

Bild
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

Paris, sommar 1949:
Bild
Atom Agency, sida 15a. © Olivier Schwartz, 2017

2x Atom Agency del 1 "special, limited edition", inkluderande bonus ("ex-libris" och "business-card"):
Bild

Bild

Våra 3 hjältar:
BildBild
Bild
© Olivier Schwartz
Användarvisningsbild
Wakuran
Admin

Inlägg av Wakuran »

Jerry Tumbler skrev:Other albums by the creative team Schwartz & Yann:

- GRINGOS LOCOS (a one-shot, 56 pages):

Bild

Scenario (brief): The franco-belgian artists Joseph Gillain (aka Jijé), Franquin and Morris drive through the United States and Mexico in an old Ford Hudson in the hope of being hired by Disney."

Few authors would dare to imagine such a venture. And yet Schwartz and Yann did it: they tell us this absolutely authentic story with humor in this album which is historic in more ways than one.

A sequel had to be cancelled because the children of the cartoonists complained, if I remember correctly.
Jerry Tumbler skrev:- These 2 Spirou one-shots (numerous artists and scenarists made Spirou one-shots):

Bild

Jerry Tumbler skrev:2 other Spirou one-shots by Schwartz & Yann:

Bild

These last two aren't "other" one-shots, they're the same stories as above, but with special covers and translated to Bruxellois French, if I remember correctly.
Användarvisningsbild
Jerry Tumbler
Fine
Kontakt:

Atom Agency del 2: "Liten cockchafer" (2019):

Bild

**************************************************************************************

Olivier Schwartz signing Atom Agency del 1: YouTube.

Trailer "Operation Fladdermus"/"Le groom vert-de-gris": YouTube.

****************************************************************************************

Spirou del 4192 (16.08.2018): introduction Atom Agency by the creative team:

Bild

Try-outs:
Bild

*****************************************************************************************

BildBild
Opus
Very Good

Inlägg av Opus »

Nu kommen på svenska.
Fantastiska teckningar om än lite mycket pratbubblor ibland (har noterats ovan i tråden).
Fartfylld och ibland våldsam historia, inget för den yngre publiken.
Hoppas att man fortsätter utgivningen, ska finnas en del två nyss utkommen ”Petit hanneton”.
Betyget blir en fyra utav fem, lite större djup i handlingen krävs för toppbetyg.
Rekommenderas dock.
trimble
Fine

Inlägg av trimble »

Såg att det har kommit ut en 2-a på danska så då får man utgå att det kommer även en på svenska?
Användarvisningsbild
Wakuran
Admin

Inlägg av Wakuran »

Det har kommit ut två album på franska, med de två äventyr som hittills publicerats i Spiroutidningen.

https://www.bedetheque.com/serie-61655- ... gency.html

https://bdoubliees.com/journalspirou/se ... agency.htm
Användarvisningsbild
germund
Very Fine

Inlägg av germund »

trimble skrev:Såg att det har kommit ut en 2-a på danska så då får man utgå att det kommer även en på svenska?
Svenska utgåvan har inte mycket med den danska att göra, men del 2 är spikad för våren -22.
Skriv svar